Sunday, November 11, 2012

I was Mourning...but now Hopeful

I was heartbroken after the election last week. I was physically mourning for our country, it's future, and for our children's future. I just couldn't believe that if people really had studied and understood the election- understood the last four years--understand how bad of a situation we are in-- I just couldn't see how our President could be re-elected. Besides the fact that our economy is at an all time low since FDR was in office, I was saddened for the morals and values of America. Sad that they are fleeting. This wasn't about money,being taxed, and what I am tired of hearing about---race--...this was a sadness because morals and values of the bible seem to be dissipating.

I find it sad that so many claim that Republicans are racist, but yet our current President won the re-election partly because of race. He focused his campaign on specific races and ethnic groups to get the vote. I am not racist and I could care less who is what color. Sadly because of the outcome I think that if the republicans had a candidate that wasn't the color he was, we could have won. We are becoming a sick nation. Another reason to be disappointed in our country and how divided it has become.

I am a Christian and believe in Christian values. I believe in the protection of life and marriage. I believe in the morals and values that our country was founded on. And I am sad that those values are now the minority. God is being squished. My kids are most likely going to be faced with a liberal future. They are going to be faced with beliefs that go against what I am raising them to believe. Our belief is the minority. If what the Republican party stands for can't be won after the last four years, I'm not sure it will ever be won. Heartbroken.

I was convinced on Wednesday that Gods return is near. Hopeful that he will come and take us to Heaven and we will be in a place that I can't even describe because words can't do it justice.

I received a forwarded email from a friend who's pastor sent their congregation a letter. I think Jeff Wells nailed it! Not only did a huge sense of peace come over me as I read the letter, but I realized I was focusing on all the wrong things. I am coming back to being hopeful. Refocusing my thoughts, my anger, and my frustration. Praying now that because of this outcome, more people will come to know Jesus. Praying for our leader whether I agree with his beliefs or not. And I am trying not to loose sight that God wins in the end. I am to pursue Him and others with love, no matter what they believe. May we be known for having hearts of love. And may we remember that only the power of God will bring a break though, not our elected officials.

Here is the letter I received:

Dear WoodsEdge Family,

The overwhelming majority of people in our community, and the overwhelming majority of our congregation, are disappointed, deeply, by the results of the Presidential Election last night. How should we as Christ-followers process this frustration? Here are a few thoughts:

1.  We are unshaken because God is unshaken.

The real King does not reside in Washington. He does not work on Capitol Hill. In fact, he is not of this world.

The real King is the crucified and risen Savior, the King of kings and Lord of lords, the eternal Word made flesh, who is coming again, not on a donkey or on an elephant, but on a white horse. He is not worried.

2.  Government is important but not all-important.

Yes, we are responsible to vote and pray, to be salt and light in our culture. We are called to stand against evil and injustice. Important issues are at stake. We agree with Edmund Burke: "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

That said, we also realize that the ultimate answers are not political or economic, educational or legislative. They are spiritual. They are found in Jesus Christ alone. Nothing short of widespread revival will turn our country around. We need a fresh movement of the Spirit on our land.

I remind you: We have had evangelical Presidents before (which Mitt Romney is not). Men such as Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George Bush. And yet we still have lots of abortions, enormous debt, overwhelming problems.

The U.S. President has power but the power is limited. Only the power of God will bring a breakthrough.

3.  Do not let disappointment become anger or bitterness.

Jesus opposed injustice and evil, because he hated sin. But heloved sinners. Sinners of all stripes and flavors.

Our problem: We love sin and hate sinners. We hate (though we may not use this word) people who believe differently than we do.

Yet we are called to love. To love all people, even our enemies. In fact, if we don't have love, we have nothing at all (1 Corinthians 13:1-3).

May it no longer be that Christ-followers in the U.S. are known as self-righteous, condescending and judgmental. May we be known for our hearts of love! May we be known for our humble, grateful, joyful love.

4.  See the big picture.

During World War II, C.S. Lewis pointed out that there was a benefit to war: People are more likely to think about death and their need for God.

That is true of a society in disarray and rebellion. We don't wantsuch a society. But that's what we have and the advantage to it is that we'll be less likely to rely upon ourselves and our government, and more likely to recognize our desperate need for God.

A land in sin and rebellion is a land in many ways more ripe for revival. After all, the Roman government of the first century, and the Chinese government of the 20th century, were even more rebellious, more hostile to God, than our own government today. And both of these countries, ancient Rome and modern China, saw widespread revival.

"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church." We don't want persecution. But there are worse things.

5.  Pray for your President.

The Bible is clear: "First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way"(1 Timothy 2:1-2). As Christians, our basic governmental responsibility is to pray for our leaders, good or bad. After all, when Paul wrote this, who was king? It was Nero, a man who would later have Paul beheaded.

Church, you may be greatly disappointed. That's OK. But do not be shaken. We've seen the end of the story: Jesus Christ wins! Take joy! Trust the Lord! Pursue him, and your neighbor, with grateful love!


With much love,
Jeff 

1 comment:

The Guess Family said...

Amen Girl!!! What a yucky day Tuesday night and Wednesday were! Crazy that he won Ohio, when I rarely come across anyone who supports him! Funny now also, that 7 days after the election, the news can't say a good thing about him. Many prayers for our children and thier world!!!