Saturday, April 26, 2008

LEARNING TO READ I can't believe that my little man is reading. Yes, I said R-E-A-D-I-N-G! He asked me a few weeks ago if I would teach him so I went to the attic and got out all my old teaching materials and finally put them to good use. (Frank has been begging me to get rid of all that stuff that I still have been hanging onto...and this is why I have been hanging on to it all!) I had no idea it would be so easy. After one lesson he was sounding out words and one more lesson and he read his first book. Today he read a second book. Both books he got little to no coaching from me....just sounding out the words phonetically. Don't get me wrong....they are simple words....but he still read them. I am so proud of my little man. I videoed him reading but couldn't figure out how to post the video...so a picture will have to do. We are so proud of you Gavin!!

5 comments:

Ashley McWhorter said...

We have been doing that with Lily. Isn't it amazing how fast they pick it up? So fun!!! Way to go Gavin!! :)

Kathryn said...

Way to go G-Man!!!! :)

Emily said...

Wow--that's great! I know you're so proud of him! Try to get that video posted.

Julie Marler (Mammy) said...

Kelly taught Cade & Cole to read before they ever went to kindergarten! They are both excellent readers today - way above their level! I am so proud of all you girls that are doing this. In "our day" we would have never even thought of doing this! Way to go Gavin!!
Mammy Marler

Toni said...

Wow!! After teaching so many other kids isn't it great to teach your own! Gavin is such a stud!