Saturday, September 05, 2009

Sweet Hearts and Moments I want to remember....

I can't believe I forgot to post this story a few weeks ago, but I was reminded of it again yesterday.

The night before school started for Gavin I read him a few back to school books like I always do. The one in particular that I love is "The Kissing Hand." It is about a baby raccoon who doesn't want to go to school, but the Momma raccoon tells him a secret. She kisses his hand and says when you miss me, remember this kiss and how it warms your heart. It can never be washed off, it is always there. So she tells her little raccoon to think of her kiss on his hand when he needs her. So, I proceed to grab Gavin's hand and kiss it and as soon as I do he grabs mine, unravels my fingers and kisses mine too. He is such a sweet boy. I just HUGGED him tight and the tears started flowing. I hugged him for a bit as I didn't want him to know I was upset. I didn't want him worrying about me missing him while he was at his first day of school. And that is the kind of boy he is. He would worry if he thought I was sad. And that is also why I was thankful that I didn't bat a tear until walking out of his classroom that first day.

So fast forward to this past Thursday. I was running to school because Mommy forgot to put an animal in his backpack that he wanted to bring. So I drop the stuffed monkey off and then got in my car to leave when I notice his class was at recess. My heart broke into a million little pieces when I saw him walking around the playground with his chin on his chest, looking at the ground, walking around by himself. I stopped and watched for a few minutes, I just knew he was crying. He wasn't, but he sure looked that sad. And my boy is hardly ever like that. IT BROKE MY HEART. Totally Broke it. This is my social, loving life, has a ton of friends kid. He got home that day and I asked how his day was, and he smiled and said he loved school. I asked who he played with or talked to, and he tells me, "I pretty much just talk to my teacher." Then I asked who he played with and he said, "No one really wanted to play with me." What? Who wouldn't want to play with my sweet, loving, little man? I asked him, "Does that make you sad?" And he said, "No, remember the hand mom?? Your kiss can't wash off? I remember that and I am not sad."

I just love this boy. He has such a sweet heart.

(And in case you are wondering, we talked about how to ask a friend to play at recess and Friday went much better. He also met a little boy down the street who is in Kindergarten, that we had never met and they have a recess play date set for next week!! I think it's hard going somewhere new and not having the same friends in your class that he's had for the last few years. I am sure in no time he will be the little socialite he's always been.)



And another sweet story...

Ellie walks Frank to his car every morning before work. She loves walking Daddy to his car and on rare occasion when he leaves before she wakes up, she is hysterical because she didn't get to say goodbye to Daddy. Well, yesterday as she walked him to the car she said, "Daddy, I love you sooooo much. Aren't you soooooo excited?? It's almost the weekend baby and you get to play with me alllllll day!" She sure does love her Daddy!! And with comments like that, is it no wonder she has Daddy wrapped around her little finger!

12 comments:

Lindsay said...

Gavin really is the sweetest, most personable little boy. I love how he always makes sure he says hi & bye to my girls and calls them by name.

And I remember MacKenzie saying things like that when she first started Kindergarten. She would play by herself at recess. It wasn't long before she had tons of friends and was always playing chase with a huge group of kids at recess. There's no doubt he will be doing the same in no time!

Tayton said...

Those stories just melt my heart. Sweet kiddos. Enjoy your long weekend!

Emily said...

Oh my goodness, what sweet little stories. I think I'm going to have to go buy that book.

I can't imagine how sad that would have made you to see him walking around by himself! I would have cried. But what a sweet thing to remember your kiss. I love it!

ChrissyK said...

PRECIOUS!!! You guys are such a sweet family. I love hearing about your sweet relationships with your children. Its priceless.

Amy said...

I am crying and I DO NOT cry. That is so sweet of him to say that about the kiss on his hand. He is precious.

Tanni said...

Tears! How cool is it that you read him that book!? They are figuring out how to be in such a large setting of kids. It is tough! After the first day of my Gavins school, I was encouraging him to play someone that was alone on the playground and the next day he came home and told me that he played with a little boy that no one was playing with. So if your Gavin was at our school, I am sure our boys would be BFF's! :)

The whole friend thing is crazy....Gavin told me on Friday that 2 of the girls in his class were thinking about letting him be their friend...but later they decided that he could not....it crushed my heart....but Gavin said..."it is OK MOM, really!"

Oh the world! We just have to keep praying for these little ones! :)

MKHKKH said...

I can really relate to G and you right now. H is having such a rough go of making friends. You never want them to have any sorrow or rejection. It is hard letting them learn to navigate the big mean world alone. :(

Ellie belly is the cutest thing ever!

Kristyn said...

Gosh girl...you made me sob!! Your kids are just the sweetest!! I hope that my kids are as sweet as yours one day!

Our Life Together said...

Lacey--talk about a tear jerker. I am going to really have to hold it together when my little man starts school. I hope he is as sweet and loving as Gavin is too. So glad Friday went better. What a sweet story you read to him! I need to get that before Luke starts school. And cute Ellie story too.

Courtney said...

Cute cute stories! I just LOVE the little things they come up with. Gav has such a BIG heart, he'll find his group of friends soon. But it must be so hard as a Mom to watch.
Oh boy does Ellie every have her daddy by the heart strings! Watch out future boyfriends!

Jessica said...

These stories just MELT my heart! You have amazingly sweet kids - how do you ever manage to discipline them??? There is nothing like the bond between Daddies and daughters and I sometimes hate that I may never get to experience seeing that!

britt said...

I went and bought that book this morning...thanks for sharing. Who knew having such wonderful kiddos could be so heart wrenching!