Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Weekend To Remember

This past week we left for Concan for an annual visit with Uncle Scott and Aunt Tay. Little did we know it would be a crazy weekend. Although in hindsight, I should have known when Frank got a speeding ticket an hour into the drive and then we lost a brand new boutique shoe of Ellies at the grocery store an hour before getting to the Cabin. We left around 2:15 and pulled up to the cabin around 9:15pm and at 3am Scott and Tay arrived. The next morning and afternoon we had an AWESOME time (which is where the majority of the slide show pictures are from). We had such a fun time playing around in the river and hanging out. Then Ellie started throwing up and I was hoping and praying it was just from eating too much junk food. The next day we kept it pretty low key as it was apparent Ellie was really sick. The next morning is when a 24 hour blur began....first Tay, then Scott, then Gavin, then Frank, and then sweet Hadley all caught the bug. My parents cabin has two bathrooms and lets just say that was not enough with 6 people feeling deathly ill. Poor Gavin got the tub most of the day and actually begged me to let him sleep in there until he was done, "barfing." I quickly realized that in the given situation...that was actually not a bad idea. I felt helpless as I felt I couldn't help all of them especially with my 7 month old puking who I pretty much had to hold all day. I called our pediatrician at his house and he had told me if I couldn't get anything down Hads I needed to take her to a hospital in San Antonio. Luckily we didn't have to resort to that as she finally kept some Gatorade down after several attempts. Anyway, about 10 loads of laundry (sheets, comforters, and every towel in the house) and blazing through two large packs of t.p. everyone got to feeling a little better. We made the car ride back yesterday feeling exhausted and a little sad that the trip had taken a turn in a not so fun direction. Luckily Aunt Tay and Uncle Scott have an open mind and are already talking about meeting us there again to redo our trip. Poor Scotty didn't get to celebrate his birthday the way we had planned. I had brought a cake to make but it never got made since no one ate anything all day. Happy Belated Birthday Scott.Thanks for driving to meet us. I am so glad we were able to enjoy the first two days. We always look forward to our visit with you guys and can't wait to see you both soon. Sorry about the bug! And thanks for letting our kids permanently attach themselves to you all weekend. We love you guys!

9 comments:

Tayton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tayton said...

Great memories! Thanks for all you did for us, you guys get super parents of the year after your performance this weekend. Looking forward to going back, with less t-p of course! :)

Lindsay said...

You poor thing! I'm so sorry your trip turned into that. What a beautiful place to be, though, if you're going to have to be sick! ;)

Great pictures, as usual.

Jess Richey said...

Great pictures! I always tell you that, but it is true!! You seem to really capture the moment. Sorry you guys didn't feel well. Still looks like you had a good time.

Amy said...

We had the bug here too. Good thing it only last a little while! Looks beautiful there.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh. I'm so sorry to hear about your drama this weekend. It sounds like you still made great memories!
~Tiff Hayes

Marlers said...

would you believe me if I said, "I completely understand!" :)

Emily said...

Did you get my last comment? I think it didn't work, but if it did please erase this one.

I keep thinking back to when you told us about your trip, and I crack up! I know it wasn't funny to y'all, but it's rather amusing on the outside looking in, right? And Sharla's comment made me laugh. Y'all have had some rough vacations! I'm so sorry this trip was so yucky, and I hope your next trip to the cabin is much better!

Toni said...

How sad! Stomach virus is the worst! Glad you've all recovered!