Sunday, April 06, 2008

BIKRAM YOGA

So for months now I have been wanting to try Bikram yoga. A new studio just opened up in the Woodlands a little over a year ago. Being pregnant I was scared to go, but now that Hadley is here I finally gave it a go. This morning was ROUGH. It was harder than any running I have ever done. (Yes, even the 10 miler!) The room is HOT! They heat the room and you do 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises in 90 minutes. Your body drips sweat and at one point I was thinking how nice it would be to strip down into my panties and sports bra. You get to a point to where you don't care what fat is hanging out, you just want to cool off. I got busted looking at the clock forty-five minutes into the class and the instructor told me to stop looking at the clock. About an hour and fifteen minutes into it, my head was pounding, purple, and dizzy. I didn't do the last two poses, just laid on the mat and breathed. Bikram yoga is supposed to stimulate the organs, glands, and nerves, moving fresh oxygenated blood to the entire body. And the heated room assists in detoxifying the entire body. I am still recovering and it's been two hours!! I really want to go again if I can find a sitter for Hads. (She has to be 6 months to get into their childcare). If you want to be adventurous- I suggest giving it a try.

Bikram Yoga:
Increases Energy - Vitality - Strength - Flexibility - Endurance - Blood Circulation - Lubrication of Joints - Weight Loss or Weight Gain – as it balances the bodies ideal weight

Improves Posture - Balance - Relaxation - Muscle Tone - Concentration - Immune System - Breathing and Lung Capacity

Assists Detoxification - Injury Recovery - Reduction of Stress - Reduces Symptoms of many Chronic Diseases - Integrates both Hemispheres of the Brain – which improves Memory and Learning

Thanks Kelley and Tiff for a memorable morning!!

3 comments:

amanda said...

oooh. so glad you gave it a try!!! :) by my second class i was down to the sports bra and teeny bike shorts...without the body to pull it off! ;) you'll be totally hooked after 2 or 3 classes and won't recognize your body in about 5! let me know if you want me to watch hadley.

MKHKKH said...

So, that sounds like self-imposed torture! I don't know that I am up for that. I dig running, but I don't know about all that heat.

Toni said...

Oh how I'd love to get back into it again! I was down to the sports bra and shorts by the end too, you don't even care who sees you!